Location: Winnipeg, MB
Position Type: Permanent, Full time
- Reports to the Vice President, Operations
- Works closely with Project Managers, Department Managers and other MEC Offices
Summary of Roles and Responsibilities:
- The Operations Manager will provide leadership, direction, and support to the Winnipeg Operations group in the delivery of safe, profitable, and effective electrical construction, engineering, shop and technical services/solutions to clients of MEC.
- The Operations Manager drives the profitability of their region by developing and employing business development and growth strategies to meet and exceed revenue generation and profitability targets for all departments.
- The Operations Manager ensures the long-term success of their branch through effective partnerships, long-term contracts and service agreements, ensuring high levels of client satisfaction, and meeting and exceeding operational financial goals.
- This role will be responsible for developing the strategic direction and business plans for the local region and integrating the goals for the branch with the corporate strategic direction.
Department Leadership – 40% time commitment
- Provides leadership and oversight to department managers from planning to execution phases of engineering, field services, shop and branch construction projects
- Oversee and supervise office administrative support staff, department managers within the Winnipeg branch, and the Winnipeg region Business Development Representative
- Ensures all staff are aware of, and effectively adhere to corporate policies, procedures, internal controls and deadlines including Payroll, Human Resources, Accounting, Safety, Training and IT
- Facilitate effective, open and two-way communication amongst the group working within the office, as well as those in the field and develop a collaborative and team-based work culture
- Ensure all staff are working in positive and safe work environments
- Ensure accuracy, quality, and efficiency of subordinate work assignments to maintain high level of satisfaction with MEC clients, both internal and external
- Ensure all subordinates receive training required to assist them in being productive and efficient in their job at MEC
- Provide effective coaching and mentoring to subordinates to foster a culture of continuous personal and professional growth
- Work alongside Human Resources in the development of an effective Performance Feedback system whereby formal reviews are delivered and ongoing feedback is encouraged
- Provide coaching and mentorship to employees to foster and encourage their development and growth and understand their career goals at MEC
- Assist employees in enhancing skills and competencies, as well as provide opportunities to perform new and additional responsibilities wherever possible
- Develop plans and objectives for succession planning, cross training, and employee coverage to ensure ongoing operational efficiencies (during periods of transition, turnover, peak volume, employee absence, etc.) without disruption in service or decrease in productivity
- Deliver disciplinary action in accordance with MEC policy with the assistance of Human Resources as required
- Identify recruitment needs and work closely with Human Resources to attract top performing personnel
- Lead division operational meetings and ensure continuous and effective communication with internal and external clients
- Communicate regularly with Department Managers and ensure all employees have access to resources, training, and equipment required to do their job effectively and safely
- Work effectively with other Operations Managers to share resources and develop consistent operational policies and procedures
Business Development- 30% time commitment
- Foster effective and long-term relationships with MEC clients coordinate effective partnerships and secure long-term contracts with provincial utilities
- Ensure MEC is meeting or exceeding the requirements as outlined in their contracts
- Grow and develop MEC’s business across the designated region
- Develop relationships with key players in the industry
- Ensure regional BD staff are aware of the regional sales and marketing plans and receive adequate training on MEC product and service capabilities; provide general support and direction to BD staff to ensure they remain on track in promoting MEC business and securing contracts for the region.
- Ensure quality in all work for clients, by MEC personnel and subcontractors, maintain contact with all clients as appropriate
- Resolve any disputes between the Company and Client, or Company and subcontractors that the Department manager is unable to resolve. Liaise with the Vice President as appropriate
Resource and Financial Management – 20% time commitment
- Develop and recommend annual operating and capital budgets for the operating group; report on actual results against plan. Implement and execute plans approved by the Vice President.
- Financial responsibility for achieving the Operations Financial business plan (with the guidance of the Vice President). Achieving positive operating statements and performance graphs having goals and targets, as per corporate strategic guidelines.
- Ensure all MEC reporting requirements for the branch are met; monitor effectiveness of branch projects through ongoing internal reporting mechanisms
- Attend budgetary and financial meetings and represent the Winnipeg region
- Oversee and facilitate risk management and incident investigation processes conducted by branch safety or department managers
- Ensuring optimum utilization of labour, material and other resources across all projects
- Reviewing with the senior management team all Operations labour cost reports and forecasts; looking for early warning signs of trouble, developing plans and implements action to improve project outcomes.
- Advise the Vice President on project-by-project status and execution issues in a timely fashion.
Long-Range Strategic Planning – 10% time commitment
- Develop the overall Operations Business Plan including annual budget, marketing plan, cost control strategy, and bottom line target
- Integrate corporate strategic plans into long-range planning for the local region; ensure the goals and targets of the branch are in line with the company’s strategic direction.
- Communicate business plan and financial targets to Department Managers to ensure they understand the targets and goals for the branch
- Develop and employ strategies for long-term sustainability of the local operation, as well as growing the capabilities and capacity of the organization
- This position is within the Managerial (Salaried) job group and therefore is not eligible for overtime compensation unless it is considered to be recoverable and billable to the client. Overtime must be approved by the VP, Operations.
- Some travel will be required to other MEC offices and work site locations; however work is primarily carried out in an office setting.
- Manual dexterity required to use desktop computer and peripherals.
- Extensive interaction and communication required of this role, with external clients, potential business partners, internal managers and employees, and subordinates.
- Completion of a post-secondary diploma, degree, trade or relevant technical program from a recognized Canadian post-secondary education institution. A combination of education and relevant experience will be considered for this role.
- At least 8 years of experience in a managerial, supervisory or leadership position
- Thorough understanding and knowledge of applicable regulations and industry best practices
- Previous work experience and knowledge of industrial electrical construction, engineering, or manufacturing environments considered an asset
- Proven financial capabilities and knowledge demonstrated through experience; business acumen and analytical capabilities
- Strong time management, planning, organizing and prioritization skills
- A professional demeanor and a commitment to a high level of customer service
- Excellent planning, resource management, and implementation skills
- Ability to collaborate and foster effective relationships with internal peers, senior managers, customers, and clients of MEC
- Ability to follow through and complete projects and position requirements
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to analyze, investigate and develop coherent and comprehensive documentation and conclusions
- Strong proficiency in all MS Office applications
- Ability to effectively develop, build and lead high performing teams
- Reached sales growth goals and attained profitability goals
- Managed overhead and project costs effectively
- Developed and implemented the Operational business plan and budget by leading the various managers in each department
- Effectively provide leadership and communications to the Winnipeg operations
- Maintained a high level of customer satisfaction
- Managed a strong safety program with no lost time accidents
- Improved personal knowledge of the technical aspects of MEC operations
- Realized operational shortcomings and made necessary adjustments to maintain proficiency
- Effectively manage operational affairs
, or call 306-955-8131 for any questions you may have regarding this position.